Monday, December 25, 2006

I changed permission of home folder with bad results

I acidentally changed the permisions in my home directory.
When I restarted the computer I was welcomed with this message

your $HOME/.dmrc file has incorrect permissions and is being
ignored. .dmrc file sould be owned by user and have 644 permissions. It also said that It needs the right permisions to write to the .dmrc file. And other user can't have access to it.
That is wht I did. I changed the permisions so everyone can access my home/user folder. Then this message came up when I rebooted.
I messed with the settings of my home foler and then when I logged back in it was a blank desktop and then it logged off after 5 seconds or so.

I found a site that helped me fix this problem. I used another user to search the internet:
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-91455.html
Then I loged off and pressed ctrl-alt F1 to switch to the terminal. I logged on and typed the following code.

cd ~
sudo chmod 644 .dmrc
sudo chown username .dmrc
sudo chmod 755 /home/username
sudo chown username /home/username

then type this to check permissions:
ls .dmrc -l
it gave me this:
-rw-r--r-- 1 mike mike 26 2006-12-20 22:24 .dmrc

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for this, i dont know how but, i feel asleep at the comp when i woke up it was typing with the wrong keys and when i rebooted i had the .dmrc error, thanks for the tips :D

Anonymous said...

Great!
This solved my problem too!
I had to add a forward stroke to the end of these lines:

sudo chmod 755 /home/username
sudo chown username /home/username

making them:

sudo chmod 755 /home/username/
sudo chown username /home/username/

Beside that - it worked like a charm!
Thank you!